10 Tips for Sandal Season
“The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art” - Leonardo da Vinci
Sunshine, warm weather, barbecues, and baseball means summer is afoot. With the sultry weather comes barefoot walks and sandals. So are your feet in sandal shape after being hidden in wool socks and boots? Here are 10 tips to get your feet ready, healthy and in shape.
1. Soak to soften that winter dry skin. Place feet in warm water and your favorite soak for 15 minutes.
2. Scrub away that winter skin and welcome spring. Use a pumice stone and a foot file for those troubled areas like the heel and ball of foot.
3. Paint your nails with your favorite summer time color. Now is the time to let your personality shine so splurge on nice polish and choose a sassy, fun color.
4. Also, in addition to the pampering you need to stretch and exercise your feet. Afterall, your feet are the foundation to your body. You can’t build a house without a foundation and the same is true about your body.
5. Stretch your calves, this can be done by doing a lunge stretch at the wall, holding for 30 seconds and repeating 2 to 3 time.
6. Stretch your toes; yes you need to stretch your toes. If you own yoga toes slip them on for 5 minutes, if you don’t own a pair then slide your fingers between your toes and wiggle them back and forth.
7. Grab a tennis ball or invest in a variety of sizes of superballs and roll the bottom of your foot for about 1-2 minutes.
8. Exercise your feet by doing ankle pumps and circles, about 20 to 30 repetitions.
9. Exercise your toes by pointing and flexing, about 20 to 30 repetitions. You can use your hand to assist the flexing and pointing so you work through your entire toe. How do you think dancers get that beautiful point?
10. The last thing is to pamper those feet with your favorite lotion or cream and slip into a nice pair of moisturizing socks. Wear them to bed, even if it doesn't feel glamorous. You will be rewarded with butter-soft skin to enjoy all summer long.
The stretches and exercises can be done daily to keep the feet healthy. It only takes about 10 minutes and can be done while sitting in front of the TV, computer, at work, or talking on the phone.
After all, the benefits are a pair of strong sexy feet to slip into those brand new sandals.